How to Create your own Tailor-Made Strip Door!
The most common and economical way of separating two spaces is by using overlapping strips of clear plastic, known as PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) strip curtains. These are mostly used in workplaces, as a secondary barrier, where the primary door has to be kept open in order to improve workplace traffic. We don’t blame you, if you think that hanging strips of plastic in your doorways is nothing but a waste of time and money. But, looks are often deceptive! In reality, these doors actually help to improve working conditions, and also save you money.
As an entrepreneur, you are responsible for providing your staff with comfortable working conditions, and protect your products from external contaminants. But, this can be quite difficult and expensive to execute. However, you have one cost-effective option in hand i.e. installation of super-efficient strip doors. Austcold Industries offers a diverse range of PVC doors with varying widths and thicknesses. They are a simple solution to suit applications such as pedestrian doors to freezer room doors to motorized vehicle doors.
Customize your strip door in the following steps:
- Plastic strip curtains or doors can prove to be quite beneficial for you and your business. They help to separate the work environment and keep out insects, harsh weather, dust, and noise from having a negative impact on your inventory and staff. They also help you save up on money by slashing your energy bills. They help to keep the hot or cold air trapped just where it’s supposed to be. You could get it from any well-known strip door supplier or else, you could just make your own. Bring your own roll of material, follow these steps, and voila, create your customized strip door. And you don’t have to worry about wasting materials or getting the wrong size.
- Measure the door opening: Along with recording the dimensions of your doorway, you need to note down certain things. You have to take note if there’s something that can hinder the door installation process. This can be anything like space constraints on either side of the door, or any obstruction within the door frame.
- Determine the strip width: After you have taken note of the size of the doorway, you need to look into what type of traffic shall be moving through the door. For people, carts or general traffic, the optimum width of the plastic strips can be somewhere between 6 to 8 inches. However, for bulkier equipment or industrial kind of traffic, 12 to 16 inches wide strips are preferable.
- Amount of overlap: You need to decide the amount of overlap you want in between the strips. For indoor purposes, you can make do with less overlapping. But, if you are installing your strip door as an exterior door, it’s advised that you go with 100% overlapping. This helps to provide protection against weather and winds.
- Amount of PVC material: The next step is to calculate the amount of material you will need to create your custom strip door. The calculation procedure gives you the linear footage which shall tell you the length of a roll (material) you should buy.
- Identify the best material: The type of material that you need for your strip door exclusively depends on where you will be placing the door. For example, if you need the door for a freezer room, you will need to buy a low temperature strip. Or if the need of the hour is visibility in a high traffic area, you will need a clear PVC strip.
- Consider the mounting: And the final question to consider — how shall you mount the strip door? The most common ways are the wall mounting type and the in-jamb mounts. The in-jamb mount is basically when the hardware is mounted within the frame of the door, and the wall mount describes the type which has the hardware mounted just above the door.
So, are you interested in customizing your own strip door? Well, we have provided you a fool-proof step-by-step guide on how to do it perfectly. Now, you will be free from the dilemma of correctly sizing strips to fit your doorway. So, happy customizing!